At Brown County Forge, we design and make custom house numbers out of solid steel plate in vertical and horizontal options.
We use either standard steel or high quality stainless steel.
Custom House Numbers Cost – Let’s discuss it
Each custom made house number plaque costs between $65 and $95 depending on the following factors:
- Type of steel: Stainless steel is more durable, but more expensive than mild steel.
- Size: The standard size is 4.5 inches wide by 11 inches tall. If you need something bigger or smaller, this will affect the cost.
These house number plaques can be mounted in two ways:
- Without drilling holes using construction adhesive.
- Drilling holes through siding and using lag screws to secure them.
Our preference is to leave the siding intact without holes for moisture to creep in.
Using construction adhesives like Gorilla Glue will ensure that the address plate is solidly bonded to your house, gate, or lamppost.
To mount with adhesive:
- Clean the siding where the address plate will be placed.
- Dampen the area with water.
- Apply Gorilla Glue to the back of the address plate.
- Firmly press the plate to the dampened area keeping it level.
- Secure with painter’s tape (masking tape) for at least the first two hours while the adhesive cures. It will be fully bonded in 24 hours.
To mount with Lag Screws:
- With your pre-drilled address plate, mark the location of all 4 holes on your siding.
- Using a 3/16-inch drill bit, drill 4 pilot holes into your siding.
- Recommendation: Add a small amount of caulking in each hole to seal against moisture.
- Attach the plate to your siding with the 4 included screws and metal spacers.
Potential Problems with Our Steel Address Plates
If you live in a rainy or very humid place, stainless steel will hold up better over time than standard steel.
Stainless is designed to resist moisture and corrosion (read: rust). It has elements like chromium added to the alloy to keep it from rusting.
Standard or mild steel will need to be coated with a sealant periodically (once every two years) to keep the rust at bay.
If you live near the ocean, more applications may be necessary.
As mentioned above, there are some risks to drilling into your siding.
Any time you break the “building envelope” you run the risk of moisture, pests, and damage infiltrating your home.
If you opt for using construction adhesive instead, be aware that Gorilla Glue is extremely strong and durable. Plan to leave the address plaque with the house if you end up moving in the future.
*These address plaques are carefully designed to be tasteful and add value to your home rather than subtract from it. Future home buyers may or may not like that style.
When these address plates are precision cut out of steel, they have rough edges.
We take our time to smooth and soften any sharp corners and edges before shipping it directly to you.
The last thing we want is for you to injure yourself while upgrading your home.
Our House Number Plates Vs. Lowe’s, Walmart, or Menards
Comparing our house number plates against numbers from the big box stores on price alone can be tricky.
Prices at Walmart, Lowe’s, and Menards start at $2 for standalone numbers and go up to $20+.
Their numbers are typically vinyl or aluminum and very thin.
If you need to get your house numbered in a hurry, they may be your best option.
If you’re interested in house numbers that will hold up over time made out of quality materials, we can help.
The prices we set reflect the custom nature of our house numbers – Each plate is custom made just for you based on the numbers you provide.
We then ship the plate directly to your door with easy mounting instructions.
What Are Other People Saying?
From Google to Etsy to Facebook, we’re proud to provide customer service and quality products that people have consistently rated 5-Stars.
From our customers:
“Quick communication and shipping.” – Brittany B.
“Great transaction. Great craftsmanship.”
“Excellent, well made product and outstanding communication.” – Doug H.
How to Order Our Custom House Numbers:
And on Amazon Handmade here.
If you have any questions about them, please email or call:
Looking forward to speaking with you!