Blacksmith Classes in Indiana
Interested in booking a blacksmithing class?
Brown County Forge offers a few different options:
- In-person classes at the blacksmith shop in Bloomington: Beginners Blacksmithing and Knife Making Fundamentals.
- Online training programs: Learn at your own pace with your own equipment.
- Done-For-You shop setup and instruction in your garage, barn, shed, or outbuilding. We order your equipment, have it delivered, and then work with you at your home to get you started.
Scroll down to see all class details and how to reserve your class date!
BEGINNERS BLACKSMITHING CLASSES
In the Beginners Blacksmithing class, you will learn how to hand-forge a project using a forge, anvil, hammers, and tongs.
We will cover the fundamental blacksmithing skills of drawing out, upsetting, bending, quenching, and scrolling.
We will also cover:
- Blacksmith Hammers and Techniques
- Using Tongs to Hold Hot Metal
- How to Start and Finish Your First Project
- Where to Find Anvils and Forges
- How to Set Up Your Home Forge
The Beginners Blacksmithing class is great for:
- Anniversary Gifts
- Bachelor and Bachelorette Parties
- Father’s Day Gift
- Retirement Gifts
- Gift certificates are available at checkout.
See what past students have to say about Brown County Forge on the Reviews Page.
Duration: Single session, 2.5 hours
Start Time: 10 AM Eastern
Size: 2 people (Groups up to 4 welcome.)
Min. Age: 14 years old (with parent or guardian present)
Cost: $140 per person
Book a Class by tapping the date you’d like above.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
KNIFE MAKING FUNDAMENTALS CLASS
“This is awesome!” – Alex S.
- In this knife making fundamentals class, you will go through the process of hand-forging blades.
- You will start with raw material (railroad spikes) and hammer out a knife you designed.
- Note: You don’t need past experience to forge a knife of your own.
In class, you will learn:
- How to forge a knife from start to finish
- Blacksmithing techniques
- When to Harden Steel
- Why and How to Quench
- The Purpose of Tempering
- How to Grind Knife Profiles
- Hand-sharpening techniques
You will finish the class with a knife you forged.
September: 9/10 (1 spot left), 9/17, 9/24
October: 10/1 (1 spot left), 10/15 (1 spot left), 10/29
November: 11/5, 11/19
Duration: Single session
Time: 1 PM – 5 PM
Size: 2 people (Groups up to 4 welcome.)
Min. Age: 16 years old (with parent or guardian present)
Cost: $280 per person – Weekday bookings get 20% off. Check with us for available weekday dates.
Book a Knife Class by contacting us: email@example.com.
Want to Learn Blacksmithing Today? – Online Training Program
I built three online courses with the blacksmithing beginner in mind. These courses are based on the in-person classes I’ve been teaching since 2016.
- Learn Knife Making and/or Blacksmithing Fundamentals.
- Get a solid foundation.
- Over 55 Video lessons in the Gold Package.
- Learn at your own pace.
- Save on equipment and training costs.
Done-For-You Blacksmith Shop Setup
If you live within 4 hours driving distance of Bloomington, Indiana and you want to set up your own blacksmith shop, we would be happy to get you up and running.
No need to make the trip to the shop if you’d rather have it come to you!
- 70 – 150 lb. anvil and hand-built stand.
- One or two burner propane forge – your choice.
- Blacksmithing hammer
- Selection of steel to start forging quickly.
- All delivered to your home.
- 4 hours of in-person blacksmithing instruction from Terran Marks, the owner of Brown County Forge.
Once we decide on a date for delivery and instruction, your blacksmith kit will be ordered.
Mr. Marks will arrive at the agreed-upon time to help assemble everything and then provide 4 hours of instruction to get you started.
The coverage area includes Chicago, Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, Evansville, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Lexington, Louisville, Niles (MI), South Bend, and any small town in between.
Pricing: $2495 – $4995
Pricing will vary depending on the type of equipment you choose. We will work together to get you the best kit for your needs.
70% down gets everything started. 30% due on or before the day of instruction.
Ready to Start? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Where are Blacksmith Classes Held?
In-person Blacksmith Classes are held at:
Brown County Forge
611 W. 11th Street
Bloomington, Indiana 47404
Full directions to the Bloomington shop are provided after checkout.
- Is there an age limit at Brown County Forge?
Beginners Class: All students must be at least 14 years old with a parent or guardian present to participate.
Knife Class: All students must be at least 16 years old with a parent or guardian present to participate.
Online classes are open to All Ages.
- Can I book a weekday class?
Weekday class bookings are preferred. If you have weekday availability, you will enjoy a 20% discount on the weekend rate.
- Will I be able to complete the project?
Yes! Every student completes their project by the end of class.
Sometimes folks need some assistance, but we’ll work together to get it done.
- Is there a forge class near me?
Absolutely! Brown County Forge is centrally located in southern Indiana. We’ve had students from across the Midwest and around the world attend classes in our Bloomington shop.
Legal Details and Age Requirements
Accident Waiver and Release of Liability
A signed accident and liability waiver is required before forging at the shop. Forms are provided when you arrive.
If you are under 18, you must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Your parent or guardian is not required to take the class with you, but they must stay on-site.
Minimum age is 16 years old.
Class Cancellation and Reschedule Policy
Let’s work together to reschedule a class!
Contact me here to reschedule: email@example.com
If you have to reschedule please do it at least 3 weeks before your class date. This allows me time to fill your spot(s) without negatively impacting fellow students and Brown County Forge.
Please read the full Class Cancellation and Reschedule Policy. [Updated: August 11, 2022]