Blacksmith Classes and
Knife Making Classes in Indiana.
Make Tools. Forge Knives. Gain Skills.
Classes are held on-site at Brown County Forge:
611 W. 11th Street, Bloomington, IN 47404
BEGINNERS BLACKSMITH CLASS
- In class, you will learn the 5 key blacksmithing skills of:
- drawing out
- You will use a hammer and anvil to shape glowing hot steel into useful hardware to take home.
- Great for Birthday Gifts, Father’s Day, Bachelor Parties, and Christmas!
See what past students have to say about Brown County Forge and Terran Marks as an instructor on the Reviews Page.
Duration: Single session on either Saturday or Sunday.
Time: 10 AM – 1 PM Saturday or 2 PM – 5 PM Sunday
Size: 1 – 4 people
Cost: $120 per person
Open Dates in BOLD:
October: 13, 20, 27
November: 3, 10, 17, 24
KNIFE MAKING CLASS
(Our Most Popular Class)
“This is awesome!” – Alex S.
- In the knife making class, we follow the ancient process of hand-forging blades.
- You will start with raw material (railroad spikes) and hammer out a knife you designed.
- Important: You don’t need past experience to forge a knife of your own.
In class, you will learn:
- How to forge a knife from start to finish
- Techniques in blacksmithing
- When to Harden Steel
- Why and How to Quench
- The Purpose of Tempering (They Don’t Show This on Forged in Fire)
- How to Grind Knife Profiles
- Hand-sharpening techniques
You will leave the class with a knife you forged.
Duration: Single session on Saturday
Time: 2 PM – 6 PM Saturday
Size: 1 – 3 people
Cost: $220 per person
Open Dates in BOLD:
October: 12, 26
November: 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
When you leave class, you will have new skills, skills 99% of people don’t have.
You will experience the fire and the thrill of blacksmithing, of working hard to bend and shape steel.
You will join that 1% of people who dared to be different.
Where are Blacksmith Classes Held?
Blacksmith Classes are held at:
Brown County Forge
611 W. 11th Street
Bloomington, Indiana 47404
Who Teaches the Classes?
Your blacksmithing instructor and the owner of Brown County Forge is Terran Marks.
Terran has taught hundreds of people from across the Midwest how to blacksmith.
His specialty is small group, detailed instruction.
- Is there an age limit at Brown County Forge?
All students must be at least 14 years old with a parent or guardian present.
- Can I book a weekday class?
Sometimes weekends get busy! If you’d like to secure an appointment during the week, it’s as simple as:
We can talk about available dates and get you swinging hammers in no time!
- Will I be able to complete the project?
Yes! Every student completes their project by the end of class.
Terran has taught hundreds of people how to do this with a 100% success rate.
Your finished project will be both functional and it’ll look good!
Legal Details and Age Requirements
Accident Waiver and Release of Liability
A signed accident and liability waiver is required before forging. Forms are provided when you arrive at the shop.
If you are under 18, you must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Your parent or guardian is not required to take the class with you, but they must stay on-site.
Minimum age is 14 years old.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Let’s work together to reschedule a class!
Contact me here to reschedule: email@example.com
If you have to cancel please do it at least 2 weeks before your class date. This allows me time to fill your spot(s).